Sunday 9 October 2011

Outdoors at Night continued

  Sorry about the break in this Blog, I pressed the wrong button. There follows some more pictures of my local Chinese takeaway.

China Palace
China Palace
  I like the way this series shows the way you can work your way into a subject, from a fairly weak opening shot, to the last two which I think are pretty strong. The first with the reflection has a nice variety of angles and the second has a nice connection with the lady working behind the counter, but shows here in her environment.
Subway
   This was a sticker on a Subway shop window, I decided to use a long lens and a wide aperture to isolate the hand from the background and really boosted the colours to give a strong graphic image.

Marriages Mill
 This mill was the closest thing I could find to a floodlit building locally, the building has an interesting combination of textures but the lights from the windows over power the picture.

Salvation Army
  Our local Salvation Army building has this neon cross on top so I decided to try and combine it with some light trails of the traffic passing in front of it.
Railings and Light Trail
  Taking pictures at night and being able to use light trails makes ordinary scenes into something more special.

Shoes Poster
  This is the sort picture I really like, you have to look twice to work out what is going on, the juxtaposition of the giant shoes and the light trails makes for an interesting image and brings to my mind the work of Walker Evans.
Neon Reflection
  This is a straight forward reflected light in a puddle of the type we have all seen before.

Lidls
  This image is very noisy because it was taken at a high ISO on a compact camera, but it is a nice bright, colourful image and I like the repeated stop sign.

Lidls
  Most of these pictures were taken late at night so they show a deserted world, which in itself is quite interesting, because they show all the traces of a human world without the interaction of people.

The Queen Bee
  I was drawn to this scene by the coloured lighting and the silhouettes of the tree branches triangulating the frame.
Shopping Trollies
  This is another scene that would look completely different during the day, the shadows cast by the streetlights add the extra dimension.

Lone Figure
  I love the long shadow thrown by this lone figure cast by the street lamp above, and the fact that because of the complete silhouette you have no idea of the sex of the figure or whether they are walking towards or away from you. It brings to mind the lone figure that was used by Andre Kertesz throughout his career ( Dyer,G 2005).
Self Portrait, Bus Stop
  On my way home one night I spotted this bus shelter with its poster missing and thought I could use it as a giant light box and make a silhouette, so using my cameras timer I took this self portrait.
  I think that this series of pictures show the huge variety of different types of image available after dark, especially now with the excellent high ISO capabilities of the new crop of cameras allowing the user to hand hold in quite dark situations allowing the kind of street photography that was only possible during daylight.







































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment