Tuesday 5 April 2011

Positioning a point

I took the images for this exercise whilst on a visit to the Tate Modern in London, I had had a lot of trouble finding a scene with a single point that was naturally occurring. Whilst standing on the balcony overlooking the engine hall as the visitors came and went I thought that if I zoomed in I could isolate one of the people. As the people were moving around my framing was quite often dictated for me. I noticed one small boy playing on his own away from the main thoroughfare and I concentrated on him.
    This first image is the most eccentric of the three and the boy does look as if he is about to roll out of the frame, but your eye is still drawn to him because your eye is naturally drawn to any human figure. Below I have drawn on lines through the point to show the lines of division.
  As you can see the division lines are very close to the edge of the frame and there is no real justification for this in the image, and too much space left on right of the frame, it would be better if there was a second point on this side for balance.
 
     The second image is less eccentric and the boy is closer to the centre of the frame although rather high up. The boy is too small in the frame to hold your interest  and the division lines show that the composition is almost the same as the first image even though the boy is in a different part of the frame. 
The third image is the most successful of the three as the boy is closer to the centre of the frame in both directions. You still get a sense of isolation as there is nothing else in the frame but there is less movement as the division lines cross closer to the centre. The image is moderately dynamic, without being extreme (Freeman 2007)
 Reference; Freeman,M.2007.The Photographers Eye.Lewes.Ilex

No comments:

Post a Comment