Wednesday 6 April 2011

The relationship between points

It is quite difficult to find scenes with two points against a fairly neutral background for this exercise. For the first picture I remembered that there were quite often horses paddocked on the flood plain in the centre of Chelmsford so I rode over to hopefully manage to isolate two of them with a long lens, I had to wait quite a while before two of them decided to move close enough together to be included in the same frame.
Horses by the Chelmer
I think it is an interesting image for this exercise because the black horse on the left should be the dominant point because it is closer to the centre of the frame and it is also larger, but the other horse is patterned your eye is definitely drawn across the picture towards it. I have shown this picture to several people and none could decide which was the stronger point, so I think that the difference between the horses stops this becoming a completely resolved image i.e you cannot decide which is the main object.  
     Whilst out on the same jaunt I came across a verge covered in Daisies and decided to isolate two of the flowers, I was careful to choose two flowers had grown to the same height as I wanted them both in focus as I knew that at this close focussing distance depth of field would be shallow.
In this image the two Daisies are in almost the same positions diagonally across the frame but the one on the right appears stronger as when I look at the image the lower flower seems to be trying to fall out of the frame. To be awkward my wife says the one on the left is stronger because it is slightly larger, but what does she know,( lets hope she doesn't read this).
      Lastly as suggested in the exercise I photographed my wifes eyes framing them tightly so that there are no distractions.
       Obviously we are attracted by such a direct gaze because we are programmed to look at each other, but  our eyes cannot settle, because as long as both eyes are the same then neither will be a dominant point.  

No comments:

Post a Comment